mercredi 4 mars 2015

Need some advice

I am sure many of you ladies have overbearing in laws. I am wondering if anyone shares my problem.

My husband is very attached to his family. Like most men, he does not like lengthy conversations, but if his parents or siblings involve him in one, he will at least listen for as long as they want to talk.

This seems like a small problem but my in laws can be quite overbearing. MIL/FIL live with us. MIL likes to spend every waking moment with husband. Which means after dinner she will insist that he spend some time talking to her (and she can talk and talk about her day and what this relative said over the phone and what that relative said) and my husband will listen to her. She will occupy many of his evenings and weekends this way by talking to him which means I do not get alone time with him.


SIL is a chapter of her own. She is not much interested in her marriage, and her husband mostly likes to work long hours. She will keep my husband on phone for a long time for one reason or another. When we are hanging out with friends, she will get her son or daughter to call him because they miss their uncle and must talk to him right there and then. Some weekends will begin with her call and she will let him off the phone when he insists that he needs to shower and eat breakfast. She will call immediately after breakfast and keep him on phone for two hours. Then will call again in the afternoon. Then again when we are having dinner at restaurant. Even if my husband tells her we are eating at restaurant, she will continue talking to him. Last evening he spent most of the dinner talking to her on phone and me eating food silently. Then on our ride home she called again. Of course she did this under the pretext that her son wants to talk to his uncle. Her son is 2 years old and SIL was the one doing all the talking "did you say to your uncle that you went to zoo today....and did you tell him you saw a big big lion"....in babyish language.


If I object, I am told by my spouse that I am jealous of his bond with this family.

The kind of things that the SIL likes to talk about is anything and everything from her parenting style, to what her kids did in school, to what she cooked, bought for groceries, which alarm clock she should buy, etc.. or a problem such as "how do I fix my computer", "how do I download music"


Am I overreacting? Is this normal?

P.S. During 7 or 8 hour conversations she has on weekends, she will never ask to speak to me or say hi to me even though she may know we are hanging out.


You Might Find These Useful:





Need some advice

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire