dimanche 3 mai 2015

Aligning on Parenting Philosophy.

My husband and I come from very similar backgrounds.While our lifestyles were not that different.....the parenting styles of both families were quite different.

In his family...mother was the primary care takers and the dominant parent.
In my family...mother was the care taker but father was dominant...

We also had very basic differences on when to have a baby,how many and what should be the age difference.So I expected parenthood to be be a little difficult partnership.Surprisingly...it has been quite a smooth ride for us.Smooth ride as in agreement on parenting tactics ...not success.

Both of us are not very keen on being the dominating partner ...both are fairly mild personalities(I mean off line personality........he has hardly any on line presence).
As a result...we often talked or found midways very easily.

The one major disagreement we have had is about ....teaching our children. While my husband has so much to give...he is not the best teacher ,specially the theory part. He is not too bad when teaching using practical work. I always felt that he ended up making them feel anxious and a little less intelligent .

After a few major disagreements.....we came to the agreement that I would do most of the basic teaching in the initial years and he would help them with the practical applications. I was the 'go to' parent for preparing for tests and assignments...and he was the 'go to 'parent for project works. Thankfully ...we decided to let them self study once they were in class 4.It has worked well for us.

My husband now gives them books to read ...books that he feels will help them.Thankfully they have similar taste in books....so it works well for them.



Aligning on Parenting Philosophy.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire