mardi 20 janvier 2015

how to improve communication at work?

Hi all,

I had 2 bad experiences in a row which forced me to post here.


Encountered some under 18 sales girl at a store who talked so rudely and I listened, could not just ask..why are you rude?..just came out with merchandise.


At work, I am bad at communications. Infact this thing has ruined my career.


I thought about it a lot....what are my problems... Is it my english skills? or US?


I think - I have this problem with confronting people. When I do not anticipate things and they suddenly happen, I do not know how to respond.


In India, school/college I was same. When some oversmart Indian friend or relative tries to box me, I can not fight back. But when I go shopping or buy or other kind of services in India, somehow I know how things are in India. So I know guy would not have done it timely and making me go rounds, I fight.


Here in US shopping, sales representative or neighborhood, I suddenly have some bad encounter, I can not handle it or answer back. I do not expect these things to happen here.


So I do not think it is my english.

I had friend who was so poor in English, Still she would argue every sales guy in US to bargain and even cops giving her ticket and lawyers helping her case for tickets,

driving test guy (who drives along) at DMV who fails her driving test because she is horrible in driving, airport ticket agent because she wants her overweight luggage to be carried in, and specially when he saw her sneaking stuff into bag after its weighed and tagged, then assistant who takes luggage from customer on belt.

She is successful...Yes.


Now this things are causing problems in my career also.


Earlier worksplace, I knew my stuff very well. So I could converse 100% about hows,whens, whys. So I was able to speak well there and my desi collegues always cornering me, I used to fight them. But I could not go and complain about my idiotic desi manager who would come and comment me on my appearance, dress up everyday.


Now, I work with fully angrez and older than me people. I am not confident enough and I am not fully knowledgeable, So I stammer. I can not keep on casual conversation with them.


Result - I do not know anyone and because I am not comfortable with them, I can not even speak well at meetings.


I work very hard and always finish on-time somehow. But impression is everything.


Unless I know my stuff 200%, I do not feel confident and even if know I more than others, I stammer and sound less knowledgeable to manager and get advised on appraisals.


People know less, speak more. Not everyone needs to know everything..right.


My this personality has always stopped me to achieve from what I deserve, at personal and career level. Someone else eats my fruit.


So how to improve my conversation skills?

I am not bad but do not have ability to make friends. Can not carry on casual conversation at starbucks, restrooms etc...like others do. I go in offical parties alone and come out alone.


You Might Find These Useful:





how to improve communication at work?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire